Saturday, August 13, 2005

That Very Special Day In November Of The Year 2003

Then came that one day in November in the year 2003. What day in November, I don’t have a clue? Why that day, beats me? From what I can tell, it was the events of the previous 17 years of my life that propelled me into my father’s office and told him that it was time; I wanted to lose the weight.

It was the numerous articles my grandparents would give me about childhood diabetes. It was their constant speeches about how they only bothered me about my weight because they love me. It was the constant looking in the mirror and asking myself why I was blessed with brains but cursed with a fat body. It was the want to be at least sort of attractive, to maybe even have a girlfriend. It was the want to be athletic; to be able to run a 5k race. In fact, I did not just want to run the race; I wanted to beat my dad, a man that I always looked up to throughout the weight loss process. It was all of this and more that picked me up off my seat and said to my dad with conviction, “I am going to lose this weight, I am going to look like you do.” My dad used to be fat and now he is ripped and while I weigh less than him now, he has much more muscle than me, he is what I still strive to look like.

I was serious this time. With my feeble attempts behind me it was time to really work at it and shave off the pounds, to become half the man I used to be. I was determined to jump into losing weight with two feet and give 110% to become a thin person.

There are two things I remember about the day I decided it was time to lose the weight. First of all, my dad told me I should call the pediatrician and get the name of a dietician. I gave him this dumb look on my face to which he responded my saying, “I get the point, I will call them tomorrow.” The other thing is that from the outset my dad was 100% there to do anything and everything to help me lose the weight. He was my goal as well as the main support going through a grueling, yet extremely rewarding process.

The journey that followed was one of the best experiences of my life. In fact, it changed my life forever. I can truly say now that I have lived two lives in the short span of 18 years. In, November 2003 I began the transition from fat Aaron to thin Aaron, from one life to the next. I was about to go from 235 pounds to 160 pounds and I was not going to let anything get in my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home